Clif Bar Joins Amgen Tour of California to Create the First-Ever Climate Neutral Pro Cycling Race
Eco-minded Food Company to Offset Event's Impact on Global Warming with Clean Wind EnergyBERKELEY, Calif., January 25, 2006-Driven by its passions for cycling and the environment, Clif Bar & Co. will offset all of the carbon dioxide emissions created by the Amgen Tour of California by purchasing comparable amounts of renewable wind energy, making the event the first-ever climate neutral professional cycling race. Clif Bar and AEG, the race's owner and operator, also announced today that Clif Bar is a Founding Partner and official energy bar sponsor of the inaugural race.
Featuring 16 of the world's top cycling teams, the Amgen Tour of California will span 600 miles from San Francisco to Redondo Beach, Calif., Feb 19-26. Modeled after the Tour de France, the race joins the cycling calendar as one of North America's most anticipated events of the year and is expected to draw large crowds across the state. With its environmental-friendly focus, Clif Bar fittingly will sponsor the "Green Jersey," awarded daily to the sprint leader.
"As a company founded by a competitive cyclist who wanted to create the first great-tasting, nutritious energy bar, we're ecstatic about helping bring professional cycling to California," said Jeff Johnson, Clif Bar's Director of Grassroots Marketing. "We also value the opportunity to reduce the environmental footprint of this event while raising awareness about global warming."
In partnership with NativeEnergy, Clif Bar is purchasing enough renewable energy credits or "green tags" to help build a new wind farm to offset 518 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2)-or all of the CO2 pollution created by the Amgen Tour of California. Electricity produced by clean, renewable wind energy displaces energy that otherwise would have to come from burning fossil fuels such as coal, which creates CO2, the leading cause of global warming.
Clif Bar's support for construction of the wind farm means that all of the energy used for the Amgen Tour of California along the entire 600-mile course-including participant travel, race support vehicles, aerial television crews, and athlete, crew and sponsor accommodations-will have a zero net impact on global warming.
To have the same environmental benefit as Clif Bar's wind energy offset, more than 1,000 cars would have to be taken off the road for a month.
In making the Amgen Tour of California climate neutral, Clif Bar is again working with NativeEnergy, a renewable energy firm that helps businesses and individuals offset the environmental impact of their energy use. NativeEnergy customers help build new tribal-owned wind farms and family farm-owned methane projects by purchasing a share of the green tags the projects will generate over their operating lives.
Additional steps Clif Bar will take to reduce the Amgen Tour of California's environmental impact and educate consumers include:
- Establish on-site recycling and composting at the daily Healthy Lifestyle Festival
- Offer Cool Tags at the Clif Bar booth in the Healthy Lifestyle Festival. Through a Clif Bar partnership with NativeEnergy, race spectators can purchase green tags to offset the amount of CO2 they generate driving to and from the event. For each $2 Cool TagTM, an attendee can offset approximately 300 miles of car travel
- Offer a bike valet area to encourage people to ride bikes instead of drive cars to the race
- Provide organic CLIF® BAR energy bars and organic CLIF SHOT® BLOKSTM energy chews at rider feed stations and for spectators. Clif Bar has made a companywide commitment to organic agriculture. Organic foods are made without synthetic pesticides, benefiting the environment and the people who eat them
- Provide eco-friendly recommendations to hospitality companies and other vendors in the Healthy Lifestyle Festival. Suggestions include using biodegradable consumables such as plates and paper products
- Bring the Clif Bar Biodiesel Bus to the race to raise awareness of cleaner burning fuels that reduce consumers' impact on global climate change
About Clif Bar & Co.Clif Bar & Co. is a leading maker of all-natural and organic energy and nutrition foods and drinks, including the CLIF® BAR energy bar and LUNA®, The Whole Nutrition Bar for WomenTM. Focused on great food and sustainability, Clif Bar works diligently to reduce its footprint on the planet from the field to the final product.
About AEGAEG is one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world. AEG, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Anschutz Corporation, owns or controls a collection of companies including facilities such as STAPLES Center, The Home Depot Center, The Manchester Evening News Arena and NOKIA Live at Grand Prairie; sports franchises including the Los Angeles Kings (NHL), four Major League Soccer franchises, two hockey franchises operated in Europe and management of privately owned shares of the Los Angeles Lakers (NBA) and Los Angeles Sparks (WNBA); AEG Marketing, a sponsorship, sales, naming rights and consulting company; AEG Merchandising, a multi-faceted merchandising company; AEG Creative, a full-service marketing and advertising agency and AEG LIVE, a worldwide leading concert and promotion agency devoted to all aspects of live entertainment.
The company is currently developing new facilities in London, Berlin, Kansas City, Chicago, New York and downtown Los Angeles.
For more information on the Amgen Tour of California, please visit www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.