Stage 4: Bettini's First Stage Win in America
Seaside: Goat Trail Loop
Novice mountain bikers can start with Goat Trail/ #41 (park at Fort Ord’s Creekside Terrace Trailhead, off Portola Drive, and pick up a trail map). For a real muscle-cramper, use the map to link a few trails in a long loop. It’s roller-coaster fun.
Trailhead: Fort Ord Public Lands, Seaside
Length: 3 to 22 miles (various loops)
Difficulty: Moderate to difficult
Website: More info
Brought to you by the California Travel & Tourism Commission and
ROUTE DETAILSDay: Thursday, Feb 22
Finish: San Luis Obispo
Start Time: 10:00 AM
Finish ETA: 3:22 PM
Stage 4 Results | Video | Press Release
Under clear skies and roaring crowds who packed the finish in downtown San Luis Obispo, Bettini outsprinted T-Mobile's Gerald Ciolek (GER) and Team CSC's Juan Jose "J.J." Haedo (ARG), who finished second and third respectively, to take his first stage win in America.
The ride from Seaside to San Luis Obispo was punctuated by two brief rain showers and some of the most striking scenery yet as the cyclists rode hard down the Highway 1 coastline. The average speed was 25.8 mph (41.5 kph), with the leaders completing the course in 5:05:47.
Stage 41. Paolo Bettini (I), Quick Step-Innergetic, 213.4km in 5:05:47
2. Gerald Ciolek (G), T-Mobile, same time
3. Juan José Haedo (Arg), CSC, s.t.
4. Thor Hushovd (Nor), Crédit Agricole, s.t.
5. Graeme Brown (Aus), Rabobank, s.t.
Overall1. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Discovery Channel, 17:52:12
2. Jens Voigt (G), CSC, at 0:03
3. Rory Sutherland (Aus), Health Net-Maxxis, at 0:15
4. Christopher Horner (USA), Predictor-Lotto, at 0:16
5. Ardila Cano Mauricio Alberto (Col), Rabobank, at 0:17
JerseysLeader: Levi Leipheimer (USA), Discovery Channel
Points: J.J. Haedo (Arg), CSC
KOM: Christophe Laurent (F), Crédit Agricole
Best young rider: Matthew Lloyd (Aus), Predictor-Lotto
Stage 4 Profile
Top Viewing Spots
- Seaside City Hall/Laguna Grande Park - At 9:00 a.m., Join the world’s top professional cyclists and KWAV 97FM’s Morning Radio Host and Media Personality Barry Brown at the start of the Queen Stage at beautiful Laguna Grande Park. Meet the pros – take photographs, get autographs, experience the two-loop promenade, and pick up cool race merchandise, a commemorative program, and free merchandise from Clif Bar. The cyclist sign-in area and stage will be along Canyon Del Rey Boulevard, with spectator viewing area during the start of the race along Canyon Del Rey, Harcourt Avenue, Broadway and Fremont Boulevard.
- Sprint Zone, Big Sur - Join the excitement in front of the Big Sur River Inn at 11:00 a.m. for the Sprint Zone, stay overnight in Big Sur, enjoy breakfast amongst the coastal redwoods and catch all of the action at the Sprint Zone at 11. Be sure to stay in Big Sur for lunch.
- KOM, Big Sur - A great photo opportunity, the King of the Mountain will be held in Big Sur between Ventana Inn & Spa and Nepenthe, two of the most popular destinations in Big Sur (also other great places to watch the race). Watch the cyclists climb up the hill and begin their decent out of the Big Sur Valley and continue through the rugged coastal terrain of Big Sur.
- Roberts Lake, Seaside - Just after 10 a.m., watch the cyclists head down Canyon Del Rey as they pass Seaside's Roberts Lake. After viewing the historic race, visit The Monterey Bay Chocolate Factory for a special treat. Previously housed in a small shop along Steinbeck's Cannery Row (site of the 2006 Tour of California’s Stage 4 start), the factory has found new beginnings in this state-of-the-art facility in Seaside, which also offers tours.
- Seaside City Center, Broadway & Fremont Blvd. Seaside - Just after 10 a.m., watch the cyclists turn on the tight curve at the new Seaside City Center.
- Crossroads Shopping Village, Carmel - At the mouth of Carmel Valley, view the world’s top cyclists take off at the official start line, where the race will be de-neutralized and take off in full force. The Crossroads Shopping Village is located at Highway 1 and Rio Road in Carmel.
- Embassy Suites Hotel, Seaside - Watch the cyclists cycle through the City of Seaside from your hotel room at the Embassy Suites in Seaside.
- Carmel High School, Carmel - The descent on Highway 1 between Highway 68 and Point Lobos is steep, so don’t blink when you watch the cyclist zoom down Highway 1 and into the mouth at Carmel Valley. Cheer on 16 of the world's top professional cycling teams near Carmel High School, at the intersection of Highway 1 and Ocean Avenue.
- Carmel River State Beach, Carmel and Point Lobos State Reserve - riders ride along Highway 1.
- Nepenthe, Big Sur - Home to Nepenthe Restaurant Café Kevah and the Phoenix Shop, Nepenthe is a Big Sur institution. Have lunch or breakfast at Nepenthe and watch the race just after the KOM.
San Luis Obispo
Fair, 35 F
Thu - Sunny. High: 52 Low: 36
Fri - PM Showers. High: 53 Low: 45
Sat - Rain. High: 48 Low: 34
Sun - Sunny. High: 50 Low: 31
Mon - Mostly Sunny. High: 54 Low: 34
Full Forecast at Yahoo! Weather
(provided by The Weather Channel)