Stage 6: Haedo Wins & Levi Holds Yellow
Santa Barbara: Cabrillo Beachway
Start this family ride at Stearns Wharf, then wheel east on the former Cabrillo Bikeway, a paved path skirting the ocean and Andre Clark Bird Refuge. On Sundays, it morphs into an artist colony lined with vendors.
Trailhead: Foot of State St., Santa Barbara
Length: 3 miles, one way
Website: More info
Brought to you by the California Travel & Tourism Commission and
ROUTE DETAILSDay: Saturday, Feb 24
Start: Santa Barbara
Finish: Santa Clarita
Start Time: 11:00 AM
Finish ETA: 2:52 PM
Stage 6 Results | Video | Press Release
The biggest Amgen Tour of California crowd to date witnessed Team CSC's Juan Jose "J.J." Haedo (ARG) win a sprint to the finish line in Santa Clarita to take his second stage, with overall race leader, Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team's Levi Leipheimer (USA) close behind, maintaining possession of the Amgen Leader Jersey going into Sunday's final stage in Long Beach, Calif.
Today's Stage 6 of the Amgen Tour of California saw the toughest racing, the warmest weather and the biggest crowds of the seven racing days so far, as the peloton of world-class cyclists competed along a hilly route from Santa Barbara to Santa Clarita.
Haedo's (ARG) sprint effort at the finish overtook T-Mobile Team's Greg Henderson (NZL), Paolo Bettini (ITA), the world champion rider for Quick Step-Innergetic, Credit Agricole's Thor Hushovd (NOR) and Predictor-Lotto's Freddie Rodriguez (USA).
Stage 6 - Top 51. José Juan Haedo (Arg), CSC, 105.4mi in 3:56:04
2. Greg Henderson (NZl), T-Mobile, same time
3. Paolo Bettini (I), Quick Step-Innergetic, s.t.
4. Thor Hushovd (Nor), Crédit Agricole, s.t.
5. Fred Rodriguez (USA), Predictor-Lotto, s.t.
Overall - Top 51. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Discovery Channel, 22:17:56
2. Jens Voigt (G), CSC, at 0:21
3. Jason McCartney (USA), Discovery Channel, at 0:54
4. Bobby Julich (USA), CSC, at 1:06
5. Stuart O'Grady (Aus), CSC, at 1:16
Stage 6 Profile
Top Viewing Spots
- McBean Avenue between Magic Mountain Blvd. and Valencia Blvd. - This is the location of the Finish Line and the Lifestyle Festival for Stage 6 of the Tour. McBean Avenue will be closed to through traffic so will offer safe up close viewing of the riders and the finish.
- Valencia Blvd. between McBean Ave. and Tourney Rd. - This is the uphill portion of the final circuit of Stage 6 where riders will most likely make their attack and affords great viewing all along the North side of westbound Valencia. Tour riders will make three laps on this course.
- Tourney Rd. and Valencia Blvd. - Riders will be making their turn onto Tourney Rd. from Valencia Blvd. for a long downhill stretch leading to Magic Mountain Blvd. There are viewing areas along the East side of Tourney throughout.
- Magic Mountain Blvd. to McBean Ave. - Magic Mountain eastbound offers viewing on the south side on sidewalks for the length of this "home stretch" towards the finish line on McBean Ave.
Fair, 40 F
Fri - Mostly Clear. High: 58 Low: 42
Sat - Rain/Wind. High: 58 Low: 39
Sun - Partly Cloudy. High: 59 Low: 41
Mon - Mostly Sunny/Wind. High: 60 Low: 44
Tue - Sunny. High: 62 Low: 48
Full Forecast at Yahoo! Weather
(provided by The Weather Channel)