Volunteer Opportunities Now Available For 2009More Than 4,500 Volunteers Needed for February 2009 Event
LOS ANGELES (September 23, 2008) – Organizers for the 2009 Amgen Tour of California announced that volunteer opportunities for the popular professional cycling road race are now posted online at the official race Web site, www.amgentourofcalifornia.com. Volunteers looking for an opportunity to participate in the fourth-annual race can apply online for positions, including course marshal, security, media relations and medical control.
Already considered cycling’s most important and successful road race in the United States, the 2009 Amgen Tour of California will be expanded to cover more than 800 miles over nine days. The event’s fourth running is scheduled for February 14-22, 2009. Traveling almost the entire length of California, the race will begin in the state’s capital, Sacramento, and end in San Diego County for the first time.
"Volunteers are essential to the success of the Amgen Tour of California," said Andrew Messick, president of AEG Sports, presenter of the race. "The support of the communities we travel through has been vital in making the Amgen Tour of California the most successful cycling race in the United States, and with the expanded route in 2009, volunteers will be more important than ever. It is a great way to take part in an event that will capture the attention of local communities and the world."
More than 4,500 volunteers in communities throughout the state participated in last year’s race, making it seamless and successful from start to finish, and establishing it as the largest sporting event in the state of California. In each of the start and finish cities, as many as 350 local volunteers were recruited to help staff the race.
The majority of volunteers are needed to serve as course marshals, providing support for the 75 professional course marshals that travel with the tour and support the local law enforcement authorities in each city. Course marshal volunteers have an opportunity to be on the race route, close to the cyclists, with responsibility for monitoring pedestrian traffic, barricades and street closures.
Volunteer positions for the 2009 Amgen Tour of California include:
- Local Stage Course Marshal – Assigned a designated area along the race course to assist with the coordination and safety of the field of play
- Media – Assist media operations staff, including distribution of media credentials, general media Q&A, office set-up, etc.
- Medical Control – Escort athletes to and from medical tent for post-race testing
- Security – Assist security staff with access-control, including on-course, hospitality, awards, green room and press conference
- Site Decoration/Restoration – Assist logistics crew with hanging and tear-down of event decor
- Lifestyle Festival EXPO – Assist lifestyle festival staff with expo coordination
- Sweepstakes Surveyor – Help ensure lifestyle festival attendees are aware of the official sweepstakes
- Volunteer Check-in – Assist Local Organizing Committee volunteer coordinator with set-up, check-in/registration and deployment
Volunteers must be over the age of 18 or accompanied by an adult. The online sign-up form offers volunteers the opportunity to rank their top-three job preferences, and every attempt is made to match volunteers to their area of interest. Shortly after filling out the online form, volunteers will be contacted by the local organizing committee for further information.
Dates of the 2009 Amgen Tour of California:
- Prologue: Saturday, Feb. 14 – Sacramento
- Stage 1: Sunday, Feb. 15 – Davis to Santa Rosa
- Stage 2: Monday, Feb. 16 – Sausalito to Santa Cruz
- Stage 3: Tuesday, Feb. 17 – San Jose to Modesto
- Stage 4: Wednesday, Feb. 18 – Merced to Clovis
- Stage 5: Thursday, Feb. 19 – Visalia to Paso Robles
- Stage 6: Friday, Feb. 20 – Solvang (individual time trial)
- Stage 7: Saturday, Feb. 21 – Santa Clarita to Pasadena
- Stage 8: Sunday, Feb. 22 – Rancho Bernardo to Escondido
For additional information on volunteering for the 2009 Amgen Tour of California, please visit Click Here
About the Amgen Tour of California
The largest cycling event in America, the 2009 Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race, presented by AEG, that challenges the world’s top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding, recently expanded, more than 800-mile course from Sacramento to Escondido from February 14-22, 2009.
Amgen discovers, develops, manufactures and delivers innovative human therapeutics. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen was one of the first companies to realize the new science's promise by bringing safe and effective medicines from lab, to manufacturing plant, to patient. Amgen therapeutics have changed the practice of medicine, helping millions of people around the world in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and other serious illnesses. With a broad and deep pipeline of potential new medicines, Amgen remains committed to advancing science to dramatically improve people's lives. To learn more about Amgen's pioneering science and vital medicines, visit www.amgen.com. To learn more about Amgen’s Breakaway from Cancer initiative, visit breakawayfromcancer.com.
AEG is one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world. AEG, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Anschutz Company, owns or controls a collection of companies including facilities such as STAPLES Center, The Home Depot Center, Sprint Center, The O2, NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE and NOKIA Theatre Times Square; sports franchises including the Los Angeles Kings (NHL), two Major League Soccer franchises, a Major League Lacrosse team, two hockey franchises operated in Europe, management of privately held shares of the Los Angeles Lakers, the ING Bay to Breakers foot race and the Amgen Tour of California cycling road race; AEG LIVE, the organization’s live-entertainment division, is a collection of companies dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performance, touring and a variety of programming and multi-media production. For more information, visit AEG today at www.aegworldwide.com.
# # #