2014 Amgen Tour of California Cyclists Will Compete for Five Leader Jerseys in Ninth Annual Race
Apr 10, 2014
One of the great traditions in the sport of cycling is that each day of a stage race, riders vie for five unique jerseys to signify the day’s best performances in specific categories. In a unique twist to this popular tradition, each of the special jerseys associated with the 2014 Amgen Tour of California will pay tribute to California’s own storied history with state flag-inspired designs. To help bring to life the custom designs revealed today, Champion System will return for a second year as the race’s exclusive jersey and uniform provider.
Champion System to Provide Official Race Jerseys, Including Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey Designed by Central California Resident
LOS ANGELES (April 10, 2014) – One of the great traditions in the sport of cycling is that each day of a stage race, riders vie for five unique jerseys to signify the day’s best performances in specific categories. In a unique twist to this popular tradition, each of the special jerseys associated with the 2014 Amgen Tour of California will pay tribute to California’s own storied history with state flag-inspired designs. To help bring to life the custom designs revealed today, Champion System will return for a second year as the race’s exclusive jersey and uniform provider.
During the ninth annual edition of the largest professional cycling stage race in America held May 11-18, riders who “win” each of the special leader jerseys awarded that day in the five classifications including the overall race leader, “King of the Mountain,” best sprinter, best young rider and most courageous rider will receive their jerseys on-stage during a special awards ceremony near the finish line. Each recipient will be zipped into custom-designed jerseys complete with their names printed on the jersey back to wear the following race day. The practice of embedding leaders’ names on the backs of their jerseys began at last year’s Amgen Tour of California and was believed to be a first for any professional cycling race.
“We are tremendously excited to be the official jersey supplier of the 2014 Amgen Tour of California. With the unique design of each leader jersey and skin suit, we are able to showcase our company's ability to create cutting edge technical apparel for the world's best cyclists,” said Scott Kaylin, Champion System co-founder and president.
One distinctive jersey, the Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey, was designed by Bakersfield resident Larry Aronat in the race’s third annual design contest. Inspired by his passion for cycling as well as his younger sister surviving cancer, Aronat’s winning artwork prominently features the Breakaway from Cancer logo and colors. Chosen from a pool of submissions, Aronat’s work stood out for its lively and vibrant design elements. He’ll be awarded a prize package including a trip for him and a guest to one stage of the 2014 Amgen Tour of California and the opportunity to meet the Most Courageous Rider winner of the stage following the awards ceremony.
“Champion System has done a fantastic job outfitting our teams and race staff, and we’re thrilled to welcome them back this year,” said Kristin Bachochin, executive director of the race and senior vice president of AEG Sports. “The leader jerseys this year are once again distinctly Californian, and I can’t wait for the race to see who will be wearing them – whether a hometown favorite or a cyclist who has traveled from afar to compete in our great state.”
The 2014 Amgen Tour of California leader jerseys include:
- Amgen Race Leader Jersey: The coveted yellow jersey will be awarded daily to the rider with the lowest cumulative time over the entire race. This jersey often changes hands from stage to stage as each day’s results are added into the equation. It is possible for a rider to win the Amgen Race Leader Jersey without winning a daily stage since the jersey takes into account overall times.
- Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey: This meaningful jersey will be awarded daily to the cyclist who best exemplifies the character of those engaged in the fight against cancer – courage, sacrifice, inspiration, determination and perseverance.
- Michelob Ultra King of the Mountain (KOM) Jersey: This jersey will go to the peloton’s strongest climber each day – and there will be plenty in the 2014 race to make this a hotly contested jersey with more than 40,000 feet of climbs in total and at least one categorized climb on every road stage. A cyclist earns this jersey by collecting points at designated KOM locations at the tops of mountains and hills. Only the first three cyclists to reach the top on rated climbs receive points toward this award. Michelob Ultra is a first-time jersey partner.
- Visit California Sprint Jersey: The Sprint Jersey is awarded to the rider who accumulates the most bonus points based on Sprint Line performances and finishing the stage in the top ten. Cyclists who specialize in bursts of power and speed, or consistently finish near the top of each stage, have the best chance to wear the respected green jersey. Visit California has been a jersey partner since the race’s inception in 2006.
- Crunchies Best Young Rider Jersey: This jersey, sponsored by Crunchies for the second year, will be awarded on the podium daily to the rider leading the individual general classification for those born on or after January 1, 1992. This jersey is an easy way to spot rising cycling stars.
Race fans who want to look the part can take home authentic Amgen Tour of California jerseys – just like the pros will wear. This year’s limited edition 2014 Amgen Tour of California commemorative jersey featuring a California flag-inspired design also is available while supplies last. The jerseys will be available at the Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival near the finish line each day, and online at www.amgentourofcaliforniastore.com.
About the Amgen Tour of California
The Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race created and presented by AEG that challenges the world’s top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding course that traverses hundreds of miles of California’s iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring. The teams chosen to participate have included Olympic medalists, Tour de France contenders and World Champions. More information is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology. - more - Amgen focuses on areas of high-unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be the world’s largest independent biotechnology company, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential. For more information, visit www.amgen.com and follow us on www.twitter.com/amgen.
AEG is one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world. AEG, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Anschutz Company, owns or controls a collection of companies including facilities such as STAPLES Center, StubHub Center, Sprint Center, The O2, Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE and Best Buy Theater Times Square; sports franchises including the Los Angeles Kings (NHL), two Major League Soccer franchises, two hockey franchises operated in Europe, management of privately held shares of the Los Angeles Lakers and the Amgen Tour of California cycling road race; AEG Live, the organization’s live-entertainment division, is a collection of companies dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performance, touring and a variety of programming and multi-media production. For more information, visit AEG today at www.aegworldwide.com.
Michael Roth, AEG
Eileen Tanner, GolinHarris
Diana Valdez, GolinHarris
Interviews, highlights and more...
Get the full tour experience with our look behind the scenes. Watch >>
Ride 2 Recovery
Support Cycling Programs for Veterans through the Honor Rides Details >>