RESIDENTS AND FANS CAN EXPERIENCE A FULL DAY OF FUN WHEN THE AMGEN TOUR OF CALIFORNIA PRO CYCLING RACE ROLLS INTO TOWN
Published on May 2, 2018
LOS ANGELES (May 3, 2018) – In addition to world-class cycling and elite athletes, the annual Amgen Tour of California, America’s most prestigious professional cycling race, brings with it exciting experiences for California residents and visitors each spring. From a no-cost, day-long Lifestyle Festival located near the finish line each race day to special VIP Experiences that give fans a front seat to the action, America’s largest cycling event has lots of fun on tap for May.
Unlike any other sport, fans of all ages can interact with the athletes before the race kicks off each morning. Cyclists arrive in team buses and begin warming up about two hours before the race, and many are accessible for meet-and-greets and photos. Fans also congregate near the announcer stage for autographs and photos as each rider signs in for the day.
The 2018 Amgen Tour of California will traverse 645 miles of roadways, highways and coastlines during seven stages from Long Beach to Sacramento May 13-19, while the Amgen Tour of California Women's Race empowered with SRAM, showcasing the world’s premier women cyclists, will cover upward of 187 miles over three stages from May 17-19.
While fans await the cyclists at each day’s finish line, they can partake in the race’s popular daylong Lifestyle Festival. Designed to provide and promote healthy lifestyle and cycling-related experiences, the Lifestyle Festival offers a day of no-cost entertainment and fun for everyone, from families to first-time race visitors to veteran fans.
Located adjacent to the daily finish line, the Lifestyle Festival is an engaging and interactive space with more than 40 exhibitors daily, family activities, food and drink, live race streaming on large video screens, cancer and cardiovascular awareness education and more. Information on exhibitor opportunities is available at https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/watchattend/lifestyle-festival.
A schedule of events will be posted closer to the race with highlights including:
Amgen, a biotechnology company in the race to dramatically improve patients’ lives, is proud to sponsor the Amgen Tour of California yet again this year. To raise awareness around two of the world's most serious illnesses and connect with patients, title sponsor Amgen will host two booths; Breakaway from Cancer® and Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM at the Lifestyle Festival.
• Breakaway from Cancer® is a national initiative to increase awareness of important resources available to people affected by cancer – from prevention through survivorship. Representatives from Amgen's four Breakaway from Cancer® independent nonprofit partners will be on-site, offering information and resources for festivalgoers who are interested in prevention, facing a new diagnosis, or caring for a loved one. In addition, event attendees will have the opportunity to buy an Amgen Tour of California-themed t-shirt with all proceeds benefiting the Breakaway from Cancer® independent nonprofit partners.
• Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM encourages Americans to take charge of their risk of heart disease and represents a partnership between Amgen and the American Heart Association. This initiative is dedicated to empowering everyone to have a plan for good heart health through diagnostic screenings, courtesy of the American Heart Association, as well as information and tools related to physical activity and healthy eating. Amgen also has a partnership with the bike company Schwinn to encourage heart healthy activities like bike riding.
The Maxxis BMX Stunt Team performs across the country, bringing thrilling BMX displays to professional sporting events, exhibitions and fairs. The team consists of some of the best riders in the country, as seen on the X Games and Dew Tour, throwing down tricks that will be sure to impress. The team will perform daily at the Amgen Tour of California Finish Line, so be sure to stop by and cheer them on!
Strider Races are local race and play experiences created at the grassroots level designed to let toddlers and young kids ages 18 months to 5 years old explore the world on two wheels and participate in some friendly competitive riding. Strider Races will be held at select Host Cities including Long Beach, Elk Grove and Sacramento. For more information or to register, please visit http://amgentourofcalifornia.com/strider.
Cycling fans can't get any closer to the world-class racing action race-day VIP Experiences. These limited edition hospitality packages are the only way for fans to get on the course and behind the scenes during a stage of America's Greatest Race. Each custom experience is designed to bring fans closer to the action and the world's most talented and decorated men and women cyclists:
• Ultimate VIP Experience (starts at $1,750): Unparalleled access and insight for the true fan looking for a once in a lifetime experience. Includes a pre-race “chalk talk” as well as a photo op with an Official Race Ambassador. Then head to our unforgettable VIP Car Ride followed by the Finish Line Experience capping the day off at the post-race press conference. Not to mention the Assos jersey we will send you home with signed by the stage winner that day.
• VIP Car Ride ($800-$1,000): A behind-the-scenes experience like no other in professional sports; guests get to be on course inside race! Start the day onstage for pro racer sign-in, then ride by car with the race entourage, arriving at the finish ahead of the cyclists to watch them cross the finish line. Includes an official Amgen Tour of California jersey and hospitality pass. Limited availability remains for select stages.
• Finish Line Experience ($600+): Get a glimpse of the inner workings of the event. Visit the broadcast compound, which feeds the race to over 200 countries and territories. Check out the backstage area where the riders prepare for the daily awards ceremony.
• Amateur Time Trial Ride in San Jose/Morgan Hill (sold out): Ride the official Time Trial Stage on your bike just hours before the pros take the course, then follow the real race action in a VIP course car.
• Michelob Ultra VIP Club Start & Finish Line Hospitality ($65-$275): Perfect for friends, family, clients and employees, experience all the excitement of race day from the comfort of lounge-style seating with exclusive premium views of the action, all-inclusive food, beverage (beer, wine and soda) and live feeds of the final two hours of the race at select stages. Discounts available for multiple stages and groups of 6+.
Pricing is subject to change, and limited quantities available. For more information on VIP Experiences visit https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/vip-experiences or contact 213-742-7207 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Amgen Tour of California
The Amgen Tour of California and the Amgen Women's Race empowered with SRAM are Tour de France-style cycling road races created and presented by AEG. Running concurrently, the races challenges the world's top professional cycling teams to compete along demanding courses that traverses hundreds of miles of California's iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring. The teams chosen to participate have included Olympic medalists, Tour de France contenders and World Champions, and award important, world-ranking points to the top finishers. More information is available at amgentourofcalifornia.com.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
For more information, visit www.amgen.com and follow us on www.twitter.com/amgen.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, AEG is the world’s leading sports and live entertainment company. With offices on five continents, AEG operates in the following business segments: AEG Facilities, which is affiliated with or owns, manages or consults with more than 120 preeminent arenas, stadiums, theaters, clubs and convention centers around the world including STAPLES Center, The O2 Arena, the Sprint Center and the Mercedes-Benz Arenas; AEG Presents, which is dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performances, including producing and promoting global and regional concert tours, music and special events and world-renowned festivals; AEG Real Estate, which develops world-class venues, as well as major sports and entertainment districts like STAPLES Center and L.A. LIVE; AEG Sports, which is the world’s largest operator of sports franchises and high-profile sporting events; and AEG Global Partnerships, which oversees worldwide sales and servicing of sponsorships including naming rights, premium seating and other strategic partnerships. Through its worldwide network of venues, portfolio of powerful sports and music brands, AXS.com ticketing platform, AXS cable television channel and its integrated entertainment districts, AEG entertains more than 100 million guests annually. More information about AEG can be found at www.aegworldwide.com.
# # #
Michael Roth, AEG
Josh Levitt, Canvas Blue